Wednesday 24 June 2009

Are science and religion NOT compatible? A quick comment...

The topic I am commenting on is here http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2009/06/23/science-and-religion-are-not-compatible/

A physicist commenting on religion, if he is not religious, is like a physicist commenting on linguistics. Something of which he has only a peripheral grasp of.

I have heard L. Susskind, whom I respect very much as a scientist, off-handedly say something like
If you put electrons in a box.....

Implying you can test for the existence of GOD by examining the anomalous behaviour of electrons in a box. Which is nonsense. Why would GOD prove HIS own existence? I think that HE is not needy. It's like someone in Africa who has never heard of me, and has no means with which to do so for himself, challenging the fact of my existence. Ludicrous.

* I don't know if Prof. Susskind recanted his comments. *

The reason for faith, as I understand it, is because mankind does not have the tools to prove the existence of GOD. And so, I suppose, until mankind can explore the very structure of spacetime looking for the existence of other dimensions in which GOD may also be found, for now, you either take faith or you leave it. Your choice, apparently with consequences.

There isn't a man alive on Earth today who can prove that GOD exists, therefore, necessarily disprove that HE exists. ( Yes, I mean precisely what I've just said. If you can prove that an infinite being exists then that being is not infinite i.e has a definable existence.) But there are many who become puffed up by the little that they know and like the Emperor with no clothes, display their ignorance.

But in the meantime, whilst we wait for that man, what do you do? Because apparently the decision is not without consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

scribbles

scribbles
squibblenot

Followers

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I enjoy reading and writing physics stuff.